- H.R. 3504 strengthens penalties for those who don’t protect babies born alive during induced abortions. It passed 248 – 177.
- H.R. 3134 defunds Planned Parenthood for one year, exempting facilities that do not perform abortions (with exceptions). It passed 241 – 187.
Born-alive abortion survivors and the defunding of Planned Parenthood are not new issues for legislation, but 10 undercover videos released by the Center for Medical Progress have renewed public outrage at abortion business practices. Three Congressional investigations of Planned Parenthood are underway.
Predictably, President Obama, who is a strong supporter of Planned Parenthood, has promised to veto both bills as “threatening the sacred doctor/patient relationship.” Read more here.
It is already illegal not to medically care for babies who have escaped death during an abortion attempt under both Kansas law since 1997 and federal law since 2003 (read more here). Yet– in their own words on the videos– Planned Parenthood physicians and tissue procuring personnel reveal that born-alive babies are not given medical care, but treated merely as more valuable sources of organ harvesting:
- Dr. Savita Ginde, Medical Director of Colorado’s Planned Parenthood Rocky Mountains is taped saying, “sometimes we get—if someone delivers before we get to see them for a procedure—they are intact…”
- One fetal tissue broker describes watching a “fetus …just fall out. And left to die.”
- Procurement technician Holly O’Donnell shamefully admitted that she’d been ordered to harvest an intact brain from a late-term male unborn baby whose heart was still beating after the abortion at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s Alameda clinic in San Jose, California.
H.R. 3504, the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act requires that the same degree of professional skill, care, and diligence be exercised to preserve the life and health of the child as would be rendered by a reasonably diligent and conscientious health care practitioner. Violations include fines and/or up to five years jail time. The Act also provides for civil remedies for victims.
H.R. 3134, the moratorium on federal funding of Planned Parenthood, is based on the alleged criminality of the nation’s largest abortion business. This bill would remove more than $528 million dollars in tax money that goes annually to PP and specifically reallocates $200 million to Federally Qualified Health Centers. See more here.
We in Kansas enjoy a wonderful confidence that all our federal elected officials are strongly pro-life, without reservation. Please contact our Kansas U.S. Reps to thank them for standing strong for life: Dist.1 Tim Huelskamp, Dist.2 Lynn Jenkins, Dist.3 Kevin Yoder, Dist.4 Mike Pompeo.